When I went to school we had school until the last day of school. Then on the last day of school, if we didn’t have our name on the board with 3 checks after it, we would get to watch a movie and drink Shasta. That was the best!
Our kids probably could have been done with school two weeks ago, then again if they shortened the school year by two weeks then the last two weeks of that year would be a wash, and then if they shortened it again…you get the point. I’m a former teacher so I know how the kids get squirrely and as a parent I’m ready to be done too but perhaps we could scale back on all the celebrating.
So anyway, the kids have been enjoying what I call a Carnival Cruise of School endings. Now granted we have six kids so there are all kinds of events at every age level but the following is the list of the end of the year events our kids already have participated in, or will in the next week:
1. Point Party
3. Peace Assembly
4. Volunteer Service Day
5. Pen Pal Tea
6. Track and Field Day
7. 5th Grade Transition Ceremony (like graduation)
8. 8th Grade Transition Celebration (like graduation)
9. 5th Grade Day at the Park
10. 5th Grade Evening Party combined with the kids going to middle school next year
11. Field Trip to Nickelodeon Universe
12. Field Trip to Valleyfair
13. Field Trip to the Bowling joint
14. Field Trip to the Zoo
15. Field Trip to the Arboretum
16. Field Trip to the Art Institute
17. Spring Fling (an after school celebration with the whole school)
18. Extra Recess (“We were outside for an hour-and-a-half today ‘casue we earned a minute of recess for every minute we were good.” Note: Not sure how reliable that information is…)
A part of me is envious of all the opportunities our kids have, a part of me wants to allocate some of those field trip fees towards a field trip for my husband and I to Chipotle.
A movie and a can of Shasta…remember those days?